Thursday, January 25, 2007

Christiana and Metelovka : fail to impress

Both areas, that naturally compare to each other, fail to impress. Granted I was not in my best shape to judge, so take this as first impression judgements.
Christian. Well perhaps I was expecting too much, with all the buzz going on around there. I felt like I could've been in any squatted part of east Berlin (don't take me wrong, that's very good but then I'd rather be in Berlin). And I was disappointed to find a rather fancy restaurant is one of these buildings - again, quite cool in fact, but far from my expectations. The crowd seemed the ordinary street bar crowd, and the bars, slightly above ordinary bars. Basically, I was expecting somekind of neighbourhood and all I found was a large squat.

Metelovka. There's not much talk about Metelovka (Ljubljana) which is why I was expecting something great, somekind of alternativ nightlife within an alternative city. Well, forget about alternativ city ! Although I may be wrong it doesn't seem much is happening in that town. And Metelovka is just a smaller version of Christiana, with fewer bars.

All in all, these two pseudo neighbourhoods just appear very provincial. And that's what they are.

No comments:

About Me

an opinionated guide to alternative nightlife and urban culture. what else?